Monday, June 27, 2011

Nerf Guns (An Experiment)

In reference to my title, the experiment results will be communicated in the near future.

My first two years of college have been quite an experiment (unrelated to the title).  I have done many things I have not done before.  There is one thing that sticks out above almost all the others.  Around February of this year I bought a Nerf Gun.

Let me say, they are quite amazing.  A couple of my best friends and I spend time sneaking around and surprising our other friends.  One of my favorite activities for a slow night involves me staking out a position and waiting for a drunk person to come along. Upon their entering my sight, I shoot a plastic/foam dart at them (an activity I have dubbed 'Drunk Sniping').

It baffles me that I never had one of these as a child (my brother and I had toy guns, just not of the projectile type) as they are so much fun.  My aforementioned friends also have Nerf swords and we have spent hours running around and fighting with them, which has proved to satisfy the cardio portion of our workout regimen.

Though I may not have owned one, my Nerf gun brings back many childhood memories, of all the fun I used to have playing around and doing whatever. It makes me long for the simpler times, before I became a full-time student hoping to earn a degree in Mathematics. I may be preparing for my future, but I still want to have the simple fun I had when I was a kid.

Most people my age are preparing for work, already working, or becoming druggies. One thing I'm sure most of us look for are relics of a simple past, filled with simple fun, gone by.

But the simple fun doesn't have to stop. Like the Nerf guns, there are some things that seem to happen to me to continue the activities I consider 'from my childhood'. My ADD and cabin fever-stricken friend pops in at least once a month demanding we all join him on a quest. The where, how, and why are never asked, nor cared about. We just go wherever. Like the Nerf sword fights, I have participated in toy lightsaber duels with friends.

The simple fun isn't ending. You just need to know where to look for it. If you need a place to start, I recommend buying a Nerf gun. They do wonders for your inner child.

Disclaimer: These are my thoughts, you don't have to listen to them.

Life changing? Probably not.

Interesting? Perhaps.

Do with them what you will. They are my thoughts.

Just thoughts.

1 comment: